Wednesday, 31 August 2011

The holes are beginning to show.........Literally!

So our roof went up in a few days and  we were told that gyprock was to be delivered on 29th and be installed on the 31st, it sounds like things are moving along smoothly. We had our inspector go out on Thursday to tell us there is no way gyprock should go ahead and that he had 50 different pictures of defects or incomplete works, the most serious issues involving the shocking job that has been done of our bricks.

We were told that "The bricks have not been cleaned yet and more incomplete joints will occur due to cleaning (ie. more areas of daylight when cleaned due to the nature of high pressure cleaning). I cannot see how the accredited certifier has passed the works. The frame itself requires further works to be compliant with AS. 1684 “Timber Framing Code”. There are other problems with the brickwork and built-in elements, water proofing not done properly, roofing not fixed with correct amount of screws."
When I contacted our builder his response was that both he and the SS knew about this before our inspector went on site. If you knew this why did we receive this email in regards to our request to hold off on the Gyprock:

"Your request is fine although we do not wish to hold the job up, insulation is due to be installed on the 30/08/11 with plaster board to be delivered on the 29/08/11 and to begin being nailed up on the 31/08/11"

The worst part about this is that when we asked the Owner of the company if he was happy with the brick work that had been completed, he said he was. Is this the standard we should continue to expect????

                                               All other window sills have been laid on an angle

We did not ask for this window

We also contacted a.b.c. the certifier that was supposed to sign off on the frame and wet area. When we went through the things that our inspector found his response was that he should go and have another inspection of our house. Not sure if he even had a look in the first place, he seemed a bit clueless.

This week we also had a call from the kitchen company, to confirm our fridge dimensions and to check on the revised plans for our island? We had already planned the kitchen months ago and it seems that someone has not measured the plumbing properly and it does not line up with where we had planned on having the sink. We don't want to change the plans, so I guess another few days will be wasted trying to sort that one out.
Cavity doors in the process of being installed

Missed a spot

Frayed edges to the fiberglass

Place looks like a dump

These sort of delays should not be happening. We are paying good money for this house but seem to be having a lot of  head aches int the process and we don't think these will be the last.

Sunday, 21 August 2011


Worlds slowest brick layers? Worlds most unreliable brick supplier? or just our bad luck? 3 weeks on, Bricking is still not complete. Hopefully they will get it done over the next couple of days if this rain holds off.

Electrical plans were a bit of an issue. At the initial meeting we had with Our builders, it was always sold as a real money saver, that we deal direct with the Electrician for any additionals. What was not outlined, was that they used the worlds most expensive electrician and we would have to do all the running around. Don't get me wrong we really like this electrician, he is a real can do guy, but we are no better off than we would have been, if we had signed up to our original Tender with Barrington Homes. $100+ a downlight. No thank you.

Our date with the Electrician was Something we had been asking for since the beginning of the build, instead we met with him the day we sighted the plan, which was expected to be signed off the following day, due to some unexplained delay?? On the bright side, 35 batons later (downlights to be installed by Dan post handover), the worlds most over excited electrician got the job done in a little over a day. Thinking ECO we have made the decision to go without air con in place of 6 fluro ceiling fans as well as Fluro downlights. LED are still too expensive but can be changed easily once globe prices come down. In total electrical upgrades were not excessive and fell slightly over budget.

This week saw the installation of the gutters and Fascia. Colourbond sheets for the rest of the roof are on site, although we were held back by rain (even though the neighbours that started after ours, are all but finished). Hoping to see roof get started again Monday, although the weather is still not looking good. Update from the SS is that if all goes to plan, the roof will be done by Wednesday, Insulation will follow and Gyprock should be set to start next Monday. With these clouds hanging over head we are expecting all this will be slightly delayed.

                                                        Gutters on                                         
and again

Roof in the gutter ready to go. Hopefully no one steals it in the meantime

Wires galore

                 Inside out brick. We are thinking a tile edge will cover it, as no one has bothered to fix it

Plumbing done

Looking forward to seeing our roof go on and finally seeing the end of these rain delays.

Tuesday, 16 August 2011

On a sadder note.

We woke to the news this morning that a work colleague of Dan's had lost her life due to fatal injuries she sustained in a pedestrian accident while holidaying in Melbourne, the same accident that only days earlier had claimed the life of her partner. Karen and Fernando leave behind their 2 adorable children aged 3 & 5.

We ask that you read the link below, dig deep and help out these 2 beautiful kids. An account has been set up in their name and donations can be made at any IMB Branch.

BSB 641800
ACC # 200621702
Name IMB Society Ltd ITF Marino Family Appeal


Please help their babies so they need not suffer more than they already are.
Rest in Peace Karen and Fernando

Sunday, 14 August 2011

Busy Times

Sorry for the slight delay from our usual weekly update but the stress levels have been high and blogging has been low on the priority list. Where to start with the last 2 weeks??

Our bricks, almost 3 weeks on are still not finished. Despite the fact that the perfect weather we were hoping on did actually stick around. There are a few dodgy bricks around which we have brought up with the SS who tells us that he has not had a chance to look at them yet, even though the neighbours told us he was there looking at them a week ago. Really not happy about this, every house that started either at the same time as us or even the neighbours which started 3 weeks after ours, are now well ahead of ours. They do not even bother giving us excuses anymore and we have really had enough. 26 weeks is looking like a long shot.

We have also had countless dramas this week with our bank processing a progress payment for our construction loan. After 2 weeks, over a dozen phone calls, 2 customer complaints and the builder on our back, the payment was finally made, their excuse - Administration error. I Can tell you right now ANZ if the builder tries to slap us with a late payment fee, it is coming out of your pocket not mine!

When this whole process started we had made the decision to have independent inspections to verify that all work had been completed to code. When we first mentioned this to our builder during the Tender process it was brushed off very quickly. A week or so ago contacted a really helpful man named Andrew Connor from local company IBAS. We informed One Three that we wanted him on site. This was their reply:

"In regards to the below mentioned private inspector, he will need to make an appointment in the office to carry out a site induction before any access is gained onsite. We will also need a copy of workers compensation and public liability held by this inspector "

"Please note any correspondence received by IBAS is for your records and your records only as One Three Designer Homes enlist Accredited Building Certifiers to undertake the private certifying of the building works and they are the only people One Three Designer Homes use and acknowledge"

Is it just me or does it sound like they really do not want Andrew on site. Has anyone else ever used a private inspector and come across this reaction? Even our inspector was shocked and he does this for a living. Needless to say the inspection will definitely be going ahead now and i guarantee if there is anything in that house that is not built to code. They will be listening.
Over the next week we are hoping our inspector will get on site. Bricks will be finished at some point over the week. The roof will start Tuesday regardless of whether the brickies are finished or not. Electrical wiring will hopefully start this week (yet another drama that i will save for the next blog) although we are not confident.

Bricks are looking good but still not finished. Hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday they will be
 (photo is a few days old)

Plumbing and gas rough ins look complete

Dodgy brick on the porch which is still to be addressed

Porch support underway.

This house is moving very slowly and has so far been stressful and tiring. Not at all the process I was hoping for. Today someone looking to build asked me if i would recommend One Three. My reply, ask me in 6 months, for now - not a chance!